Being involved in an accident where you have sustained personal injuries* can be very traumatic and stressful. This stress can be heightened if the accident happened at work, particularly if you are worried about the implications it may have on your employment or if you are put under pressure from your employer. If you have been involved in such an accident and you have sustained injuries* you should follow the below instructions:
- Never admit liability (ie. do not say that the accident was your fault);
- Never sign anything in relation to the accident, without consulting with a solicitor who specialises in personal injuries* law;
- Where possible do not attend the company doctor, attend your own medical practitioner. If you do attend the company doctor, ensure that you are doing so in your private capacity. It is important that you also ensure that none of your personal information is released to your employer or their insurance company;
- Never speak to your employer’s insurance company without consulting with a solicitor who specialises in personal injury* law;
- Never ever enter into settlement negotiations without consulting with a solicitor who specialises in personal injury* law. In the early aftermath of an accident, it is very hard to know how badly you have been injured or what medical treatment you may require in the future. It is therefore for very difficult to know what your claim is worth. Insurance companies will often try to settle claims early in order to limit their exposure;
For further information in relation to an accident at work or indeed any aspect of personal injury* law, please do not hesitate to contact Hanahoe and Hanahoe solicitors on 045 897784 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article is merely for information purposes and is not and should not be taken as legal advice. If you have any queries in relation to this or any other aspect of personal injury* law, you should contact us. No solicitor/client relationship or duty of care or liability of any nature exists between you and Hanahoe and Hanahoe solicitors, until you receive written confirmation that we are acting as solicitors on your behalf.
*In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.