Car Accidents Involving Uninsured Drivers

Many people believe that if they have been injured in an accident, which is the fault of an uninsured driver, that they have no recourse.


This is not the case, if you are injured in an accident which is the fault of an uninsured driver you are entitled to bring an action against the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI). The MIBI was set up to ensure that victims of such accidents are fairly compensated for their injuries.

Passengers who have been injured as result of an accident, where the driver of the vehicle they were a passenger in is at fault and is uninsured, are also entitled to bring a case against the MIBI, as long as they were not aware that the driver of the vehicle was uninsured at the time of the accident.

We advise clients from all over the country on motor traffic accidents involving uninsured drivers. Hanahoe and Hanahoe operate two offices:

16 North Main Street, Naas, County Kildare, where we advise clients from Naas, Newbridge, Clane, Maynooth, Leixlip and the wider Kildare area.
Contact us: Tel: 045 897784 or at


Pembroke House, Upper Pembroke Street 28-32 Dublin 2 where we advise clients from throughout Dublin, Tallaght, Lucan, Blanchardstown and Wicklow.
Contact us: Tel: 01 5255637 or at

We also offer phone and online consultations. Accommodations can be made for clients who live outside of the Kildare and Dublin area who cannot make it to one of our offices for an appointment.


If you have been injured in an accident where the party at fault is uninsured, we advise that you do the followings:


1. If you or any other party has suffered serious injuries, you should immediately call for an ambulance. Even if you do not believe that you have been seriously injured or not, you should get yourself checked out by your doctor.
2. You should immediately report the accident to the GardaĆ­
3. You should take the other parties contact details and car registration number
4. You should take the contact details of any witnesses
5. You should notify your insurance company of the accident.
6. If you have sustained personal injuries in the accident and you want advice, you should consult with a solicitor who specialises in personal injury law.


What information should I bring to my consultation?


Firstly, if you do not have any of the following information, do not be concerned as we will generally be able to source it ourselves. However, if possible you should bring the following:

1. Details of the date of the accident.
2. Contact details of the third party (the other person/persons involved in
the accident.)
3. Contact details of any witnesses.
4. Contact details of your doctor.
5. If the GardaĆ­ attended at the scene, the contact details of the investigating Garda.


For further information please contact Hanahoe and Hanahoe solicitors on (045) 897784 / (01) 5255637 or at


*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.