Accidents involving children

The Courts consider people under the age of eighteen to be minors.


If an infant or minor has suffered personal injury as a result of an accident, it is necessary for an adult (usually their mother, father, grandparent or elder sibling) to take action on their behalf and act as their next friend. Any settlement offer in minor case must be ruled by the Court and any compensation awarded as a result of the accident will then be lodged in Court until the injured party reaches the age of eighteen. It is also important to note that in minor/child accidents the two-year statute of limitations does not start running until the child is eighteen. Therefore, a claim can be brought up until they reach twenty years old. That said, for the purposes of gathering evidence and medical information it is more desirable that there is not a long delay.

Hanahoe and Hanahoe Solicitors advise parents of children who have been involved in accidents from all over the country. We have two offices:

16 North Main Street, Naas, County Kildare, where we advise clients on accidents involving children from Naas, Newbridge, Clane, Maynooth, Leixlip and the wider Kildare area.
Contact us: Tel: 045 897784 or at


Pembroke House, Upper Pembroke Street 28-32 Dublin 2 where we advise clients on accidents involving children from throughout Dublin, Tallaght, Lucan, Blanchardstown and Wicklow.
Contact us: Tel: 01 5255637 or at

We also offer parents phone and online consultations. Accommodations can be made for clients who live outside of the Kildare and Dublin area who cannot make it to one of our offices for an appointment.


What information should I bring to my consultation?


Firstly, if you do not have any of the following information, do not be concerned as we will generally be able to source it ourselves.
However, if possible you should bring the following:

1. Details of the date of the accident and where it occurred.
2. The child’s Birth Certificate.
3. Copies of any photographs if relevant.
4 Contact details of any witnesses.
5. Contact details of your doctor.


For further information please contact Hanahoe and Hanahoe solicitors on (045) 897784 / (01) 5255637 or at

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.